"Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them" (Gen.1:27)

Friday, October 31, 2008

Bishops Spend $$ to Promote Exclusion and Bigotry

Although I decided some time ago which of the two presidential candidates would receive my vote on November 4, I've made another decision today.

It appears that the Catholic Bishops of the United States, through the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, have given $200,000 to support efforts in California seeking to overturn the right of gay men and women in that state to marry (see "Catholic bishops give $200K to ban gay marriage").

Though I'll never be a "person of means," I am making the personal commitment today not to provide financial support directly to any diocesan or parish effort - at least for the forseeable future. Instead, I will donate any funds that I would otherwise have contributed to an "official" Catholic diocese or parish to one that recognizes that all Catholics, including those whom God chose to create gay and lesbian, deserve their full rights as Catholics and as Americans.

No comments: