"Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them" (Gen.1:27)

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Bittersweetness of November 4

For the past several days, the one word that has summed up how I've felt about the results of this past Election Day has been "bittersweet." I've wanted to write about my thoughts more in-depth, but the words haven't come as I've reflected on both the sweet victory of Barack Obama as president of the United States and the bitter decisions of so many Americans to continue to discriminate against God's gay and lesbian children. In the absence of my own words, let me share the words of Soulforce Execcutive Director Jeff Lutes, who writes:

"Today is a day of blessing seasoned by loss. For even as America's historic presidential election ushers in a new dawn of fairness and inclusivity, a majority of voters in Arizona, Arkansas, California, and Florida have voted, once again, to exclude some Americans from the fundamental promise of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." (See his full statement)

No comments: